Senior Advisor, Health Equity
EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (May 2022)
Job Title: Senior Advisor, Health Equity
Job Type: Part-time, consulting
Protect Our Care (POC), a national nonprofit with a mission to strengthen health care in America by increasing coverage, lowering costs, and addressing racial inequities in our health care system, is seeking a Senior Advisor to expand its Health Equity Program.
Communities of color suffer from deep inequities in access to affordable, high-quality health care. This has devastating consequences on their health, their economic well-being, and their lives. There are many opportunities to address this issue at scale through legislative and administrative action at the federal, state and local level. Protect Our Care (POC) will bring the full strength of our organization to bear on health equity by concentrating on policy wins that will have a high impact on how communities of color access and afford the health care they deserve. Our policy focus is on increasing coverage, lowering the cost of insurance premiums and drug prices, improving maternal health care, and funding needed resources in underserved areas — changes that will deliver deep and lasting change.
Our objectives include:
- Increasing health insurance coverage for people of color through the Affordable Care Act by expanding Medicaid to 12 holdout states
- Making permanent the provisions of the American Rescue Plan that dramatically reduce premiums on the ACA exchanges
- Reducing the cost of prescription drugs
- Improving maternal health through the “Momnibus Act” on the federal level and through similar legislative and administrative actions on the state level
- Supporting open enrollment in the ACA exchanges through public education in key communities and geographies and sufficient funding for navigators to assist people with the enrollment process
- Supporting HHS efforts to apply a racial equity lens to all the critical administrative actions
- Advocating for increased funding for community health centers
Responsibilities and Qualifications
Key responsibilities are:
- Leading the ongoing strategic development of the program
- Working closely with the POC research, communications, legislative, and organizing teams to implement program elements
- Representing POC in key meetings with allied groups and with decision makers in government
- Partnering with the Chief Development Officer and other senior staff to cultivate relationships with potential donors and write grant proposals
Preferred experience and skills include:
- Fluency in health policy issues, with an emphasis on the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid
- Advocacy experience in health care or equity issues
- Knowledge of Congress
- Good writing and communications skills
About Protect Our Care
Protect Our Care (POC) is a highly respected health care advocacy organization with a track record of success. POC has been at the center of the health care debate since 2017, leading the fight to stop repeal of the Affordable Care Act, making health care a key issue in 2018 and a key part of 2020, and fighting for once- in-a-generation legislation to reduce costs and improve coverage in 2021. POC is unique in its ability to run tightly orchestrated campaigns that span the breadth of tools needed to win: including on-the-ground organizing, local and national earned media, and paid digital, social media, and television advertising. POC operates teams in over a dozen states, and a DC-based war room works with national media and conducts ongoing polling, rapid response, and coalition building activities. Protect Our Care operates as a 501(c)(4) nonprofit and as a 501(c)(3) through the Protect Our Care Education Fund.
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Kelsey Evans at [email protected]. Interviews will be scheduled with qualified candidates.