Washington, DC — Protect Our Care is releasing a new video today that contrasts Democrats’ efforts this week to improve the health care for millions of Americans with the Trump administration’s brazen escalation of their attempts to destroy our health care.
Voters sent a clear message in the midterms that they want lower costs, better care, and an end to Republican sabotage of their health care. Democrats responded with legislation that lowers premiums for millions, protects people with pre-existing conditions, and takes the power away from insurance companies and gives it back to people. Meanwhile President Trump administration’s reckless decision to go to court to overturn the entire Affordable Care Act will rip health care away from millions, increase costs, and gut protections for people with preexisting conditions.
If the Affordable Care Act is struck down:
- GONE: Protections for 130 million Americans with pre-existing conditions. The uninsured rate will increase by 65 percent.
- GONE: Medicaid expansion, which covers 17 million people.
- GONE: Nearly 12 million seniors will have to pay more for prescription drugs because the Medicare ‘donut hole’ will be reopened.
- GONE: 2.3 million adult children will no longer be able to stay on their parents’ insurance.
- GONE: Insurance companies will be able to charge women 50 percent more than men.
- GONE: Financial assistance that helps 9 million people purchase health care in the marketplace.
- GONE: Key support for rural hospitals. As Americans lose coverage, already struggling hospitals will be hit even harder as their costs increase.
- GONE: Ban on insurance companies having lifetime caps on coverage.
- GONE: Requirements that insurance companies cover prescription drugs and maternity care.