HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra, U.S. Senator John Hickenlooper, U.S. Representatives Frank Pallone (D-NJ-06), Kathy Castor (D-FL-14), Peter Welch, (D-VT-AL), Matt Cartwright (D-PA-08), Annie Kuster (D-NH-02), Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE-AL), Charlie Crist (D-FL-13), Val Demings (D-FL-10), Darren Soto (D-FL-09), Susan Wild (D-PA-07), Katie Porter (D-CA-45), and Sara Jacobs (D-CA-53) Along With State & Local Elected Officials and Storytellers Headlined “Care Force One” Stops In 16 States
Washington, DC — Last week, Protect Our Care’s 8,600-mile, 31-event, 16-state “Lower Costs, Better Care” bus tour came to a close after “Care Force One” drove from Maine to California to demonstrate the urgent need to lower health costs including for drugs and insurance premiums, expand coverage, and reduce racial disparities in care. Events were headlined by 13 members of Congress, 40 state and local elected officials, and 42 health care advocates and storytellers. Throughout the tour, national and local elected officials promoted the work of President Biden and their Democratic colleagues who are leading the charge to advance American health care. Coverage makes clear American families are demanding relief and want lawmakers to act now so health care is a right, not a privilege.
“With President Biden and Democrats’ Build Back Better agenda, America has a once-in-a-generation opportunity to improve health care by lowering costs and expanding coverage for millions of Americans,” said Protect Our Care Executive Director Brad Woodhouse. “The combination of lowering prescription drug costs by giving Medicare the power to negotiate with drug companies, closing the Medicaid expansion coverage gap, permanently extending premium tax credits that were expanded in the American Rescue Plan, and adding benefits for dental, vision and hearing in Medicare would do the most to improve American health care since the Affordable Care Act passed more than a decade ago. As the coverage of ‘Care Force One’ proves, Americans want better health care and lower costs and with the leadership of President Biden and Congressional Democrats, we’ll soon get the job done.”
Care Force One traveled to Bangor and Portland for events with Attorney General Aaron Frey, State Sen. Troy Jackson, State Rep. Joe Perry, State Sen. Stacy Brenner, State Rep. Colleen Madigan, and health care advocates.
- WABI 5 (CBS): ‘Protect Our Care’ Bus Tour Advocates For Better, Affordable Healthcare.
- Portland Press Herald: From Augusta – Fighting for better health care for all Mainers
Congressman Peter Welch (D-VT-AL) and Lt. Gov. Molly Gray headlined the “Lower Costs, Better Care” bus tour stop in Burlington.
- Vermont Business Magazine: Rep. Welch, Lt. Governor Gray And Advocates Call For Action To Lower Costs And Improve Health Care For All Vermonters.
- WFFF (Video): Calling For Better Health Care.
- WCAX (Video): Health Care Reform, Advocacy Group Brings Message To Vermont.
- WVNY (Video): Calling For Better Health Care.
- WVNY-BUR (ABC): Nationwide Lower Costs, Better Care Bus Arrives in Burlington
U.S. Representative Annie Kuster (D-NH-02) joined health care advocates for the bus tour stop in Concord.
- WMUR-TV (ABC): Rep. Kuster Joins Bus Tour Stop in Concord
- WMUR-TV (ABC): Rep. Kuster Meets with Health Care Advocates, Joins Bus Tour Stop in Concord
- The Tip Sheet: Rep. Kuster calls for action to Lower Costs and Improve Health Care for Granite Staters
- New Hampshire Union Leader: Pandemic taught us health care is a right, not a privilege
Care Force One made stops in Allentown, Wilkes-Barre, and Pittsburgh for events headlined by Congresswoman Susan Wild (D-PA-07), Congressman Matt Cartwright (D-PA-08) and State Rep. Jessica Benham.
- Times Leader: Cartwright pitches Biden’s healthcare plan
- WBRE- TV (NBC): Rep. Cartwright Calls for Lower Costs Better Health Care
- Pennsylvania Capital Star: Op-Ed: It’s long past time we stopped treating healthcare like a privilege
- Trib Live: It’s time to stop treating health care like a privilege
- Citizens Voice: Cartwright promotes Biden health care agenda at bus tour stop
HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra, U.S. Representative Frank Pallone, Jr. (D-NJ-06), State Sen. Loretta Weinberg, and Assemblyman John McKeon joined health care advocates for bus tour events in Teaneck, New Brunswick, and Burlington County.
- New Jersey Globe: Becerra To Rally With Pallone For Lower Drug Costs
- New Jersey 101.5: Pallone Wants $10 Billion to Build, Modernize Community Health Centers
- Politico Pulse: Becerra Takes Biden’s Drug Plan on the Road
- Asbury Park Press: ”We all have a personal responsibility’: HHS Secretary Becerra in NJ pitches COVID vaccine
- NJ.com: N.J. drug companies are targeted by lawmakers in congressional spending bills
- TapInto New Brunswick: With U.S. Health Secretary, Rep. Pallone, Lt. Gov. Oliver on Hand, a Push to Expand Chandler Health Center
- Insider NJ: New Jersey State Senator Troy Singleton and Health Care Advocates Call for Lower Costs and Better Health Care for New Jerseyans
- WMBC-TV: Prescription Drug Prices
- NJ Spotlight News: State Sen. Weinberg, Advocates Call for Prescription Drug Reform in Teaneck, NJ
- Insider NJ: New Jersey Senate Majority Leader Loretta Weinberg and Health Care Advocates Call for Lower Costs and Better Health Care for New Jerseyans
- WMBC-TV: NJ Teaneck Affordable Health Care Bus Tour
During stops in Wilmington and Dover, Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester (D-DE) and State Treasurer Colleen Davis headlined events with State Senator Kyle Evans Gay, and State Representative Mimi Minor Brown and United Way of Delaware President & CEO Michelle Taylor.
- WDEL-Wilmington: ‘That’s all [he] could afford’ | Delaware auditor joins call for lowering healthcare, prescription costs
- State of Delaware News: Auditor McGuiness Applauds Protect Our Care Rally, Reiterates Call for Express Scripts to Give Taxpayers Back $24.5M
- WDEL: ‘This is unacceptable’ | National tour stops in Wilmington to rally for better healthcare costs
- Bay to Bay News: Affordable health care, drug costs focus of bus tour
Care Force One made stops in Morgantown and Charleston for events with Senator Richard Lindsay, Delegate Barbara Fleischauer, Delegate John Williams, Delegate Evan Hansen, Delegate Mike Pushkin, Delegate Kayla Young, and health care advocates.
- Dominion Post: Local delegates, residents, push for Congress to pass health care legislation during Protect Our Care bus stop
- WBOY-TV (Video): ‘Care Force One’ Bus Stops in Westover
- Charleston Gazette-Mail: PHOTO: Care Force One stops in Charleston
- Parkersburg News & Sentinel: West Virginia bus tour promotes lowering prescription drug costs
- Martinsburg Journal: Bus tour promotes lowering prescription drug costs, affordable healthcare
- West Virginia Press: Bus tour through West Virginia promotes lowering prescription drug costs, affordable healthcare
Mayor Jamael Tito Brown, Youngstown Health Commissioner Erin Bishop, and Columbus City Attorney Zach Klein joined health care advocates for bus tour events in Youngstown and Columbus.
- WKBN-27 (CBS): National bus tour rolls into Youngstown rallying for better healthcare costs
- WKBN-TV (CBS): Youngstown Mayor and Advocates Call for Lower Drug Costs
- WFMJ-TV (NBC): Youngstown Mayor and Advocates Call for Lower Drug Prices
Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul headlined events with State Senator Melissa Agard, Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley and local advocates during stops in Milwaukee and Madison.
- Wisconsin Public Radio: State, Milwaukee Officials Join Health Care Advocates To Call For Lower Medical Costs
- Wisconsin Examiner: Advocates pitch for more reforms to boost health care access
- Wisconsin Examiner: Op-Ed: Lower drug costs to transform health care
- WISC-TV (CBS): AG Kaul, Sen. Agard, and Advocates Call for Expanded Health Care
- WMSN-TV(FOX): Protect Our Care Bus Tour Calls for Healthcare Expansion
- Wisconsin Examiner: Lower drug costs to transform health care
Care Force One made stops in Raleigh and Charlotte for events with Charlotte City Councilman Malcolm Graham, Senator Jay Chaudhuri, Senator Natalie Murdock, and health care advocates.
- WNCN-TV (CBS): Calls to Lower Health Care Costs
- Spectrum News (Raleigh): NC State Leaders and Advocates Call for Lower Health Care Costs
- WRAL-TV (NBC): NC Leaders and Advocates Call for Lower Health Care Costs
- North Carolina Democratic Party: Protect Our Care Bus Tour Stop in Raleigh Highlights President Biden and Democrats’ Efforts to Deliver Lower Health Care Costs
- Cardinal & Pine: Too Poor To Get Sick: What’s Next for the Half-Million Uninsured North Carolinians
Savannah Mayor Van Johnson, State Senator Sonya Halpern, State Representative Rebecca Mitchell, and State Representative Derek Mallow joined health care advocates for events in Atlanta and Savannah.
U.S. Representatives Darren Soto (D-FL-09), Val Demings (D-FL-10), Charlie Crist (D-FL-13), and Kathy Castor (D-FL-14) headlined events in Orlando and Tampa.
- The Rick Smith Show: Laura Packard on Investing in Human Infrastructure
- Florida Politics: Val Demings blasts Marco Rubio for ‘Monday morning quarterbacking’ on Afghanistan
- Central Florida News 13 (Orlando): Reps. Demings and Soto Call for Lower Health Care Costs
- WFTV Channel 27 (Orlando): Reps. Demings and Soto Call for Lower Health Care Costs
- Florida Politics: ‘It’s unconscionable’: Charlie Crist criticizes Ron DeSantis pandemic response
- Creative Loafing Tampa: ‘Protect Our Care’ Democrats call for more accessible healthcare during Tampa rally
U.S. Senator John Hickenlooper (D-CO) joined State Senator Julie Gonzales, State Representative Iman Jodeh and health care advocates for an event in Denver.
- Colorado Politics: Hickenlooper, state lawmakers take part in national tour on health care
- Colorado Times Recorder: Hickenlooper Commits to Fighting for Health Care Equity at Event Featuring State Lawmakers and Advocates
- America Blog: Health care activist Laura Packard talks Covid, ACA & Biden
Flagstaff Mayor Paul Deasy, State Representative Kelli Butler, and State Senator Kirsten Engel joined health care advocates for events in Flagstaff, Phoenix, and Tucson.
- Cronkite News: Push for Affordable Care
During stops in San Diego and Orange County, U.S. Representatives Sara Jacobs (D-CA-53) and Katie Porter (D-CA-45) headlined events with Irvine Mayor Farrah Khan and health care advocates.
- KFMB-TV: Protect Our Care Bus Tour Stops in San Diego
- KUSI-TV: Congresswoman Sara Jacobs Join Local Advocates in Efforts to Expand Health Care Access
The “Lower Costs, Better Care” tour wrapped in Las Vegas, Nevada, with an event featuring State Representative Fabian Donate and State Assemblyman Edgar Flores.
For more information on the Protect Our Care “Lower Costs, Better Care” Bus Tour visit https://www.protectourcare.org/bus-tour/.