Washington D.C. – On Saturday, the World Health Organization declared the spread of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda a ‘global health emergency’ with now at least 10 confirmed cases, 336 suspected — including ‘a number of Americans’ — and 88 deaths. As the NYT notes: “The U.S. Agency for International Development has played a major role in containing previous outbreaks, but last year it was shuttered by the Trump administration. … The administration also cut funding for the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and [also] withdrew in January from the W.H.O.”
Bloomberg lays out the ‘deadly cost’ of those mindless decisions: “The Trump administration’s withdrawal of health funding that once helped support outbreak detection across parts of Africa represents the kind of cuts that contribute to the erosion of disease-surveillance systems. Health officials say the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola may have circulated undetected for six to eight weeks in northeastern Congo before lab testing confirmed the virus. By the time Ebola was identified, suspected cases and unexplained deaths had already spread across multiple health zones near the Ugandan border. Such systems built with international aid often serve multiple purposes: tracking outbreaks, transporting laboratory samples and monitoring unexplained illnesses in remote regions. When funding disappears, those networks weaken quickly.”
“If history is any guide, the administration must be fully vigilant and prepared to deal with the potential of this deadly disease reaching America’s shores, or the situation could get ugly fast,” said Leslie Dach, Protect Our Care founder and Chair, who served in the Obama Administration as the HHS global Ebola coordinator. “Without proper procedures and guardrails in place, people could get very sick and die. But Donald Trump has deliberately left us the opposite of prepared by gutting Ebola and pandemic-preparedness infrastructure at home and abroad. The CDC is now flying blind after Trump and Republicans shuttered USAID and cut themselves off from WHO’s global resources – destroying our disease surveillance and response capability just so billionaires could have another tax break. Whether it’s measles, Hantavirus, or Ebola, the deep Trump cuts to research, public health staff and infrastructure have left the nation ten steps behind – always putting out public health fires rather than preventing them.”
SEE ALSO:
- Protect Our Care, May 2026: The Dangerous Leadership Void at Trump’s Health Department
- Protect Our Care, May 2026: No Permanent FDA, CDC Heads or Surgeon General Is Unprecedented and Untenable
- Wired, Feb 2025: USAID Was Promised Emergency Waivers for Ebola and AIDS. They’re Not Working
- Fortune, Feb 2025: Elon Musk admits DOGE accidentally eliminated prevention measures combatting Ebola virus
- Washington Post, Feb 2025: Musk says DOGE ‘restored’ Ebola prevention effort. Officials say that’s not true.
- Vaccine Adviser, March 2025: U.S. Cancels Ebola Aid in Uganda Despite Elon Musk’s Claims
- The Atlantic, March 2025: The Diseases Are Coming
- The Atlantic, Aug 18, 2025: No One in the White House Knows How to Stop Ebola
- NOTUS, Sep 23, 2025): Trump administration’s Ebola response “isn’t normal,” infectious disease leaders say
- AP, Sep 25, 2025: New Congo Ebola outbreak kills dozens as health officials warn of funding lack
- CNN, May 15, 2026: Penile implant specialist with history of far-right comments led hantavirus presser
- Donald Trump, October 16, 2014: “President Obama has a personal responsibility to visit & embrace all people in the US who contract Ebola!”
###
