New Post-Convention Polling Shows Voters Trust Vice President Biden Over Trump on Health Care Issues
Washington, DC — Today, Protect Our Care held a press call with Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), former Acting Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Andy Slavitt and Jim Williams from Public Policy Polling to discuss new post-convention polling, President Trump’s failed coronavirus response, the Republican Senate’s failure to vote on critical coronavirus response legislation and the ongoing Republican war on pre-existing conditions.
“We can’t go back to a time when health insurers could deny coverage to people who are sick,” said Senator Klobuchar. “As we continue to face the challenges of the pandemic, we must maintain the protections in the Affordable Care Act, and make our health care system even stronger. Americans deserve the security of knowing that they will be covered whether they are healing a broken bone, battling cancer, or grappling with the uncertainty of a public health crisis.”
“Trump has woefully mismanaged the coronavirus pandemic. From downplaying the threat of the virus to discounting the advice of experts, Trump’s complete lack of decisive response has made the pandemic worse,” said former Acting Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Andy Slavitt. “This election is a job interview for who the American public wants to protect them and defeat this global pandemic.”
“This new polling shows health care is a top priority for voters, and they trust Vice President Joe Biden over Donald Trump on issues related to health care,” said Jim Williams of Public Policy Polling. “We see this response from voters on every health care issue from coronavirus response to protecting people with pre-existing conditions. Voters consistently choose Joe Biden on health care.”
“Trump has completely fumbled his coronavirus response and has taken every opportunity to undermine health care access during his presidency — including his lawsuit to completely dismantle the ACA and rip health care from 20 million people and remove protections for 135 million Americans with pre-existing conditions,” said Protect Our Care Chair Leslie Dach. “We know health care is on the ballot in 2020, and this poll confirms that voters trust Vice President Joe Biden over Donald Trump to handle the coronavirus pandemic and make health care more accessible and affordable.”
- 53% trust Joe Biden to protect Medicare, while just 40% trust President Trump.
- 52% trust Biden to protect healthcare for people with preexisting conditions, while just 41% say they trust Trump.
- 51% trust Biden to have a plan to prevent future pandemics, compared to just 41% who say they trust Trump more.
- 51% trust Biden to keep Americans safe during the coronavirus pandemic, while only 41% trust Trump.
- 51% trust Biden to lead the government-wide effort to develop and approve an effective coronavirus vaccine, while only 42% trust Trump more.
- 50% trust Biden more to make healthcare affordable, while just 41% trust Trump.
- 50% trust Biden more to have a plan to safely reopen schools, compared to just 40% who say they trust Trump more.